dots

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

10/6

Seems like forever since I've gotten the chance to post up one of these logs.  Thanks to the big move were all making over here at Terra Firma HQ things have been a bit hectic to say the least.  But somehow we manage.  So I dedicate this post to everyone who's made the time for BJJ, no matter the circumstances.  To all of you that have put certain responsibilities on hold for the sake of your passion, ossss!

We show up to class earlier than usual so me, and Emmanuel decide to hang out in the front with some of our teammates.  Mike's there, along with another blue belt that helps out in class named Joe. We shoot the breeze while the self defense class finishes up with the mat room, then Rivera shows up and lets us in.  The room is awesomely warm compared to the cold of outside and I can feel a surge of excitement from my bowls as I step on the mat (or maybe that was gas?).

We start of with the usual jog around the mat, every now and then Rivera throws in a couple of drills, nothing too fancy, just enough to get the sweat pumping. That is until he he yells out the two worst words in the English language...BEAR CRAWL!! What followed next was an agonizing 2 minutes of running on all fours trying your best not to run someone down (or be run down).  After that we did some more calisthenics, a little skipping here, a little high knees there, and a dash of sprinting from one end of the room to the other.  Then came the line drills. The class gets into 6 lines and each line simultaneously drills a specific technique.  First were hip escapes, which everyone has down by now, then came reverse hip escapes, which some still cheat on (you know who you are!!) then we hit some shoulder rolls, and reverse shoulder rolls.  Followed by pull throughs, which if you can picture, looks like a zombie with no legs crawling towards you(yes it is as fun as it sounds).  After the line drills Rivera gives us a "breather" which consisted of 35 push ups/20 judo push ups/5 zipper pushups/ and 5 half pushups.  You can tell our instructor really cares about us -__-

After our warm up were told to partner up and form a giant circle around the room.  Most look confused but the vets know whats up..ROLL WHEEL!!!  The exercise is simple, the people on the outside of the circle are labeled as #1, while the inside grapplers are #2.  #1 must roll with #2 for 1 minute, when the minute is up, he/she moves clockwise to the next person. While #2 stays in the same spot and awaits for the next #1.  To clarify: #1 moves, and #2 stays, that way everyone gets to roll with someone new, and it removes the thought process of having to pick your partner.  Ta da!!

I can't remember every person's name, though not for lack of trying, but here goes.

Roll #1
I'm partnered with my good ol' little brother, who knows my game inside and out.  So what do I do? I pull out my trusty Turtle guard, which iv been discussing with him at length.  Suffice it to say he knew I was trying to bait him.  He attacks with a d'arce chock but I'm able to defend it.  I feel that he's not looking to transition to my back, and I notice his leg so I go for the single. He defends it and I pull guard a work for a sweep.  Unfortunately time was up, so we slap hands and move on.

Roll #2
This time against Sergio (aka PowerSerg)
I pull guard, and work the open guard, transitioning into spider guard looking for a triangle.  Before I can set it up I see his knee planted on the mat and instead go for a kind of scissor/spider sweep by planting my right foot on his bicep, while controlling both his sleeves, and pushing on his right knee with my left foot.  Once his base is broken I push on his bicep with my foot, and kick out his knee with my left, and complete the sweep in mount.  From there I trap his right arm and hit the americana.

Roll #3
I don't remember this guys name, but I believe he mentioned he had a wrestling background, and was a fan of Gray Maynard.  Cool dude, with a nice gi.  Anywho, I pull guard to start off the roll, he looks to stand up and by doing so gives me enough space to reach my right arm under and hook his left leg, while at he same time controlling his right sleeve with my left arm.  I then hip out as if I'm going for an armbar, (don't forget to readjust your right leg higher onto his back) but instead of throwing my left leg over I swing it like a pendulum while simultaneously kicking his body with my right leg, and pulling up with my right arm.  It's called a pendulum sweep and you should end in full mount, where I did.  From there I look for an americana, he brings his opposite arm over looking to grab the arm that's in danger, and I look to attack that arm with an armbar.  In the transition for the arm lock I lose the grip and go into side control. He hips out and we wind up in the sprawl position.  From there I transition to his back and hunt for the RNC (rear naked choke).  He defends it well but leaves his arm in a bad spot, as I'm able to take control of it and transition into the arm bar for the tap.

No comments:

Post a Comment